Sunday, July 19, 2009

In Defense of Reality Programming

So I wrongly thought that the finale to my favorite reality show would be playing tonight. Of course it isn't because there always is a recap episode the week beforehand! And so the Daisy of Love recap show will air some hours from now, enticing its viewers with never-before-seen footage and previews of the Maui finale. I will probably watch this episode even though it has no real inherent value. Then again, it's pretentious of me to assume that reality television can have any value to it, right? Or is it populist of me to think so? It's just how I think, and I will now take the time to explain why I can and if need be defend reality programming. Here are two general issues people have with the genre and some ways I think they could be wrong about this thinking:
1. It's scripted, dumbass. Why watch something parading around as real when it's obviously fake?

Well, it's entertaining. Whether or not the drama comes about naturally or is prodded out of the participants, it still can be interesting. It's something that can be appreciated if you're willing to accept its way of being produced. Now some shows have parts of it that are written and some do not. The ones that do tend to have "confessionals" written for them. Onscreen commentary by the likes of Fonzworth Bentley, Daisy de la Hoya, and some guy named ChiChi don't ever fit the real people playing these characters. Yes, characters. I'm willing to let you in on a secret (and a longwinded one at that): Reality shows are basically about real people playing characters or stereotypes that they would probably fit into in normal life. Reality is about bending and playing people's strengths and weaknesses into entertainment. And it's entertaining. At least to me and a few million others. I will also say that this complaint is a main reason why so many people hated Bruno, whereas I loved it. Parts are real, parts are fake, all of it tells a story. Also, there are several reality shows that are unscripted. These are on TLC and A&E. They are usually good. Watch them.

2. It's trashy. It shows no morals and promotes unhealthy lifestyles.

I will say that they are trashy. No doubt about it. If "Breaking Bad" can be considered a five-star meal, "Charm School" is like McNuggets. But though they're not good for you, McNuggets are comforting and tasty in small doses just like these shows. And these shows actually do have moral lessons to teach. Bret Michaels keeps searching for love and failing. Why? Because he's going about it by not learning about the girls he's dating, but by judging them solely on looks and alcohol tolerance. It's fun to watch him fail at securing his dream bitch, but it's also interesting and educational to see why people who live these lifestyles don't find happiness that often. Other lessons one can take from reality television are: Don't do drugs (from "Intervention," a very unscripted, haunting show) Don't be starting shit (from "Charm School," arguably the worst reality show this year) Be careful when trying not to get pregnant when you're having sex at the age of 16 (from MTV's "I'm 16 and Pregnant" which is actually good. The situations are unfortunate, but the realities these young women have to adapt to in order to raise a child are fascinating.) Many other shows have messages to display. The mainstays that are "COPS" and "Cheaters" basically teach you not to break the law or lie to others. "The Real World" teaches us not to be bad roommates and to be respectful and attentive to the needs of others. If you're against swearing and people doing wrong by each other, than these shows are not for you. I get it and won't try to change your way of thinking. I will say that if you watch "Wife Swap" you may become a better parent. Okay. I'm done.




It's hard to write about this subject without sounding like an imbecile, and I probably am anyway. If you're against reality television this probably won't change your opinions at all. Why did I write this then? Because I was bored and felt like it. And I need to establish my credibility on the subject before I dissect the DOL finale obviously. Sigh... I bet my sex life is going to suffer because of this. Drat..... Wait. Ladies! I am still a man. I barbeques and sports and action films. Guns are cool! Cage fighting is awesome. Grammar is for pussies!


There.


2 comments:

  1. I thought Bruno was frickin' hilarious, although pretty disgusting. Personally, I've always maintained that reality shows are a lot like crack: They're bad for you but they're a cheap, easy way to make yourself feel better, or at least entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I find a healthy balance between trash tv and quality programming. Until trashy shows limit my productiveness or health, I will continue to watch.

    ReplyDelete