Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Killing Moon: Return to Riverdale


So I spent the first few waking hours of today chatting with a friend in California, destroying the carbonated remains of soda leftover from last night, and trying not to embarrass myself on the piano. I won/failed at the last thing. The reason I'm trying to pick up piano, or at least hang with it, is so I can write good score music. So far, I've written about 2 minutes of good stuff on guitar and on keyboards. What has to come next in the score is a sweeping part that will lift everyone's spirits and push the movie forward. What I didn't realize is just how bad my left hand is at playing these parts. Now, this sweeping part is nearly finished being written, no thanks to that left hand, but recording it will be another matter entirely. I'd like to perform all of the instruments because it would mean something to me, and maybe this quest for personal piano perfection is madness. Man, I could've gone further with that alliteration. Oh well. The music will be good, and the story is changing at the moment. I still have a year to worry all of this over, so no bigs. I watched Ponyo last night with a pal of mine, and the animation was pretty gorgeous. The film's namesake was entirely unlikable to anyone over the age of 5, and the presence of Miley Cyrus' sister and a Jonas brother hurt the film as well. Liam Neeson's character, however, was the epitome of awesome creeptastic supernatural water man-thing. I would have rather seen a movie about his life instead, but hey, I don't have power over the powerhouse that is Miyazaki. I doubt I will see any more movies this weekend, which is a bit of a letdown, but there are some more important things to do. Books were bought for school today and I am thankful that classes my major almost never require any reading. I spent about $130 dollars on textbooks, which though a financial nuisance, is better than what most people end up paying. At the moment, I'm listening to a Pavement cover of an Echo and the Bunnymen song about lunar occurrences and death that are thinly veiled references to heroin abuse. I think that some covers are better than the originals, especially if the context is completely different. The best example of this is Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" by NIN. The second best is probably Wilson Pickett's cover of "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies. Reggie Mantle could never play guitar as sweet as Pickett's sideman, and someday history will recognize the significance of this particular cover. Speaking of Archie comics, I read about a month ago that the series is taking a turn in order to sell more issues. Archie proposes to Veronica and then six issues follow to finish the story. Now, I have not read an issue of Archie in about a year. And before that, probably 8 years. It might be lame to admit to it, but I enjoyed those comics growing up. Who can argue with the hilarity of Jughead's eating habits? The valuable life lessons learned by Archie when his team-ups or competitive prank wars with Reggie fail? The baldness of Mr. Weatherbee? And Pop Tate breaking every negative Italian stereotype? Those stories and their aw shucks, slightly awful humor meant something to me, and doggone it, this new story sounds interesting enough that I might don a freckled disguise and pick some issues up. In other comic news, I've started to read "Gotham by Gaslight" which is quite awesome. The steampunk style fits in this Batman story, but I'm a little tired of the genre, which I never really got into in the first place. Also, my comic "Shore Leave" is picking up steam in production. The drawings I've seen so far are great, and I should be taking some reference photos for my artist sometime this week. If all goes well and it's finished within a year, I will pitch the fuck out of it and hopefully it finds a home in some sort of short comic anthology like Popgun. I have a few other ideas I'd like to write out sometime this year for comics, and maybe pitch somehow if I can set up a meeting. The ideas involve characters already existing in the D.C. universe, so there's only one way to get it made, and the fact that I'm unproven might make it a hard sell to them. If the idea fails, I might end up writing some fan fiction, which I have never done before. I shall remain optimistic though, and start outlining the storyline in the next few months. In the meantime, I'm focusing on this short film that should be undergoing a small rewrite by me later today. I realize now that all my blogs are about me, which is usually what happens in these sorts of things, but that's kind of annoying. I'm pretty certain that half of my sentences include the words "I" and "me." Repetition is key, some say, but to me, it's not cool most of the time. But what can I do? Keep writing and working on becoming better so that by the time I'm 25, I'll have done something with my life that creates a rabid fan base. Oh yes, fans. With custom shirts and websites declaring my awesomeness. Anywho, I'm done writing for now, but I'm sure I'll post something soon again. Hope everything is right with you and yours.

3 comments:

  1. I stumbled across this:
    http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_3c6c135b4610c6aeaf8ba8afe3e0d7c5.gif
    after reading your post, and thought you might appreciate it.
    25, huh? Ambitious! Go IJB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that concert happened a year ago, but I can't be sure. I think Shang a Lang is done with. You digging Fucked Up at all? And nice new posting on your blog. Haven't commented yet, but probably will once I'm thinking clearly and have slept.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving Fucked Up, and angry at myself for not listening earlier. I actually checked the calendar, and the last time the 27th of June was on a Sunday was 2004, so I'm thinking it was back then. Alright, hope you're well rested, bright eyed, and clear thinking.

    ReplyDelete