Tuesday, August 25, 2009

what is love?

Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me. No more.

The reason I title my post as such isn't because I'm a lovelorn fool seeking a meaningful answer to an age old question. And it isn't because my baby daddy broke things off right as the kid started kicking. No, it's none of these things. I bring up the topic because of a great, in my personal opinion, film that brings love to a simple equation. The film is named Trust and features some unique directing choices and dialogue heavy scenes. I won't write much about it since the AV Club totally did it, much better than I ever could, and was the source of my curiosity towards finding this film. Anyway, a character in the film states that respect, admiration, and trust equal love, and I find that to be a fucking great explanation, even a tad romantic. I've watched the movie twice in the past few days, and though it isn't so great the second time, I'd recommend checking it out on youtube if you have the time. School has started, and I am dealing with the stress fairly well. No walls have been punched and no hair has been ripped off of my head. If anything, I'm indifferent to the campus now, and that indifference will surely carry me to great academic heights as I finish up these last two years in school. I've done a little philosophizing as well. Nothing new or transcendent, but some songs may come out of it. Stuff about attraction and glossing over faults that will eventually make us like the other person even more. So yeah, there's that and an idea I have for a Civil War Re-enactment comedy that I will be outlining this semester. My comic artists' computer self-destructed and I fear that all of her work is lost. Sad times. Casting is still going on for this short film, and I'd like for it to end and for us to find an amazing group of actors. At this point there are several roles that still need to be filled, but I think we'll get there. I just want to get there NOW. I'm reading What is the What? by Dave Eggers for the third time and I think I will actually finish it. The novel is astonishing, beautifully written, and uplifting. It is also thoroughly depressing and that is the reason why after two previous attempts I am finally close to finishing it. The book has changed me in a way, and my understanding of the Sudanese plight has grown from nothing to something. After this I hope to start Eggers' Hurricane Katrina book. Maybe I can finish it in only two tries. I don't have much else to add here, but I think at some point this week I will post a song recording or something creative like that because if it's not here, it probably won't be anywhere. Also, sometime during my hectic schedule I will record that darn podcast which will be damn amazing and fucking fun. Title I want for it: "The Indie Snobcast: A Progression of Slurs"

Laters y'all. Also, I apologize for how random this posting was and how its lack of flow and clarity might be alarming or at the very least annoying. That is the issue with my writing, and is something I am working on. I'm also a little lazy with the whole blogging thing, so that could be why my posts are always so ramshackle. Ramble.

2 comments:

  1. That's a pretty great title. I was gonna try and work Special Brew into there too, but I think that's just fine the way it is. It carries some hefty expectations, but I think we can live up to them.
    Here's what I was thinking: I don't have class on Friday now, so I can record anytime, and I should be able to get stuff Thursday night and have a friend hold it. When works for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I will probably be free on Friday night now. We're having some auditions for this short film on Friday afternoon or early evening, but I don't know all of the details. So yeah, sometime on that day will work out I think.

    ReplyDelete